This recipe is a very easy, simple one that is one of the healthiest breakfasts you can begin your day with. I use foxtail millet for this recipe, but you can use any other kind of millet that you have. I love that this is gluten free and vegan – pleasing all those on the table, and you can spice it up with as much or as less chilies and your vegetables!
- ½ cup foxtail millet
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 8 – 10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped finely
- 1 tsp green chilies finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, small thinly sliced
- finely diced green capsicum
- ½ tsp salt
- finely chopped coriander for top
- Heat little over a cup of water in a small pan. Once this comes to a boil, add millets with ½ tsp salt. Cover and cook until the millets are soft but not mushy – it will take around 8 minutes. Once cooked, uncover and fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in another pan and add mustard seeds. Once they start to sizzle add the finely chopped ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and cook until fragrant
- Then add all vegetables with salt and stir well and cook – cover the pan if required
- Then once the vegetables are cooked through add the cooked millet and stir to combine.
- Then stir in the chopped coriander and serve warm