This is another recipe in collaboration with the boys at Organic Farmers Co. This recipe is as Indian as can be, and if you’ve been following me for a while, you will notice a lack of Indian recipes. I only share what I eat regularly, and make with true joy and love. Having been raised in different countries, my tastes are more inclined to other cuisines; besides, there are far better Indian books and blogs out there to follow for unique Indian recipes. However, I will lap up every morsel of good spicy curry (I love spicy food more than anyone in my family) and biryani. And every once in a while, I try to challenge myself, playing with Indian spices and dishes.
A real healthy version of savoury pancakes made with quinoa flour, milk and Indian spices, and served with Indian chutneys and pickle, and you’re good all set for an easy-breezy breakfast.
For an extra effort, hence mile, add in some grated carrots or beetroots, coriander… whatever you want.
Options: can substitute milk with a dairy-free option like almond milk or soya milk.
Photo Credits: Krishna Lalbhai
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 beetroot, finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- coriander chutney
- Whisk the quinoa flour with baking powder and all the spices.
- Then while whisking, slowly add the milk to get a smooth batter consistency.
- Heat a non-stick pan and spread oil with a silicon brush.
- Place two spoons of the batter in the pan. Sprinkle the beetroot, carrots and/or onions on top.
- Let the pancake cook for around 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot with chutney.