Like most beautiful creations at Kitchen Therapy, this one stems from staring into the fridge and finding a box of cheese spread that no one touches – so of course baking it up is what I thought of. Instead of the usual cream cheese brownies that one tends to imagine, I wanted something more savoury and spicy – so a classic hot baked cheese dip with three kinds of cheeses – cream cheese / cheese spread, gruyere, and mozzarella, along with some cream, a pinch of nutmeg and lots of seasoning and black pepper, baked away to glory until lovely golden brown and bubbling!
Have wit ccackers, lavash, chips… whatever you like!
- 200 g cream cheese or cheese spread – unflavoured
- 100 ml cream
- 200 g mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 100 g cheddar or gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 tbsp Italian dried herbs
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- finely chopped spring onions, chives or red sorrel leaves
- handful of breadcrumbs for topping
- Mix all the ingredients, except breadcrumbs, in a bowl with a whisk until combined and smooth
- Transfer to the baking dish
- Sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180C or until the top is golden and bubbling
- Serve with crackers, lavash, breadsticks etc.