Le Artisan Boulangerie × Kitchen Therapy × The Kitchen Trail
The Dipping Series
This dip is a little bit hatke. I’ve been a fan of the loaded baked potato (who isn’t?), but I am always wary of making it – after all it is just carbs, and I would choose countless other options!
But sweet potato is one of those feel-good carbs, because it’s a complex carb, with better nutrition and a more forgiving status than the unfortunate regular potato. This recipe kept adding to itself as I made it. I roasted the sweet potato cubes and whizzed them up with some soaked cashews for a creamy effect with olive oil, paprika and red chilli flakes. But I wanted to highlight the sweetness of the sweet potato, so I added some honey. And then I craved some texture and colour, so I added spring onions, garnished with paprika and toasted sesame seeds. This works amazing as a dip for crackers, lavash and toasted breads, and especially the assortment of the lavash and crackers by Le Artisan Boulangerie.
Photo Credits: The Kitchen Trail
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt + pepper
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 50g finely chopped spring onions
- 100g thick yoghurt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- paprika and toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Cheese, Spinach and Beetroot Lavash to serve
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into small pieces (half inch) and place in a baking tray.
- Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper over the pieces and place in the oven to roast for 30 minutes at 200°C.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, remove from oven and let cool.
- Place the pieces in a mixer with the cashews, garlic, olive oil and honey. Give the machine a few whizzes until there are no clumpy pieces.
- Remove the mixture into your serving bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. Add more yoghurt, olive oil and salt as per your taste.
- Garnish with some olive oil, paprika and sesame seeds.
- Serve at room temperature with Cheese, Spinach and Beetroot Lavash.