My mother spent a weekend at a wellness spa resort and came home to make this delicious Ayurvedic-inspired yellow dal that is ideal for daily consumption and also for bad days that are plagued with exhaustion, body pains and tiredness after long travels.
The tempering is simple, made in ghee – this helps with stomach issues, ease of joint movements, skin dryness and energy boosting.
Have it with plain rice (preferably jirasar or kolum variety) or roti made with whole wheat, jowar or ragi or whatever suits your digestion.
- ½ cup moong dal – rinsed and soaked for 2 hours
- 1 ½ cup water ++
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 8-9 ginger julienne
- pinch of hing
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 green chili, finely chopped (optional)
- fresh coriander
- ghee on top
- In a cooker, boil the dal and some salt with water – it should be a thin dal
- Once it is done, remove the lid and stir, adding some more water to make it a thin consistency
- Heat ghee in a small pan with cumin seeds and ginger
- Once it starts to sizzle, add hing, turmeric, green chili and sauté
- Then add it to the dal and stir
- Serve with another dollop of ghee on top and garnish with coriander