A grapefruit is just a lemon that saw an opportunity and took advantage of it. – Oscar Wilde
Very few look forward to the grocery store visit – I am one of them and this remains one of the many mysteries to my friends! The kind of inspiration you can get from just entering a food store for something new is unparalleled (at least for me!).
I have recently started discovering the world of online shopping (yes, I know I’m fairly late!) and this too has been a bit of a forced act, as time has become rather precious lately! I now have a favourite website to buy organic nuts and seeds from, all cash on delivery (bless their souls!). While it’s easy to get distracted by dresses and other sparkly things, I have discovered such wonderful new labels offering organic, gluten free, natural items, which are all made in India. Waiting for your aunty to return from America is no longer required!
This salad is a quick one, and has a balancing taste of sweet and sour with quite some saltiness and goodness. The fried onions provide just the right amount of crunch and of course, fats. The dressing is unique in a Nigella kind of way, of minimal effort – a teaspoon of the warm oil from the onions, is whisked with some mustard, grapefruit juice, chillies and sea salt. Not exactly wonderfully healthy – but the olive oil makes up for it, as do the carrots and other Vitamin C packed ingredients!
So, here it is!
If you are not a fan of using the warm oil for dressing, it’s okay; substitute with extra virgin olive oil.
Serves Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 carrots, grated
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ pink grapefruit
- 1 tbsp feta cheese
- 1 tsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp champagne mustard
- ½ red chilli sliced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil used to fry the onions
- Fry the onions in a non-stick pan in the tablespoon of olive oil. This will take quite some time, be patient.
- Remove the onions, but keep a teaspoon of the oil aside.
- Cut the grapefruit into bite size pieces.
- Combine the mint leaves, carrots, grapefruit, seeds and fried onions together.
- Sprinkle feta cheese on top.
- Whisk the heated oil with the mustard, juice and salt together.
- Add the chillies and sea salt and pour onto the salad before serving.