As a kid, I grew with a Bengali Ayah who tried desperately to feed me eggs in every form in vain. Except one type – the French toast. For at least ten years I believed French toast was white bread soaked in egg and spices, fried up and eaten with ketchup. I had no idea that the original French toast actually is a sweet version with cinnamon and a wonderful dollop of cream. This memory returned a few weeks ago, and I ventured straight into the kitchen to recreate my childhood, with an adult twist. My love affair with cheese is no secret, and I currently have armloads of cheese stocked in my fridge – but for this recipe, I want something that’s reminiscent of home, comfort, and childhood – i.e. the chili cheese toast. I first make the sandwich with cheese slice and Amul shredded cheese, lot’s of green chilies, garlic, and Domino’s pizza seasoning packets!
This sandwich is then dunked into the egg mixture and fried to perfection in butter. I’d say this is the perfect adult-ing dinner, served with a chilled glass of sauvignon blanc!
- 2 bread slices
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 tsp green chillies
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 packet pizza seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Spread butter on the bread slices.
- In a bowl, stir the cheese with chilies, garlic and seasonings.
- Place the slice cheese and spread the cheese mixture on one slice and cover with the other plain slice, buttered side down.
- Whisk the eggs with milk and salt in a flat bowl.
- Place the sandwich in the egg mixture to soak well on both sides.
- Place a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add butter to coat the pan and place the eggy sandwich to cook on each side for at least 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve with hot sauce.