This is a slightly lengthy recipe, requiring a small amount of patience. I’ve often wondered the point in a flatbread when you can have a proper pizza instead. I guess that’s the thing about un-professional chefs – we aren’t food snobs and we eat everything and anything with equal amounts of joy and two hands that one does truffles. I eat fast-food chain pizza with the same relish as I do a meal at Wasabi, Taj Mumbai. Although my hips don’t agree well with this attitude, my heart does, and that’s what matters in the end!
So this attitude brought me to the flatbread – this in between pizza and roti thing that’s become so popular. The recipe of this flatbread is fairly simple, but may take a few runs to get the hang of it. I use equal proportions of whole-wheat flour and oat flour (which is simply rolled oats pulsed down to a powder). The dough is kneaded slightly with yogurt and earthy olive oil. I cook the flatbread on a hot non-stick pan, covering it lid to cook for a minute or so on both sides.
The vegetables are roasted on a hot pan with SPRIG Passion Fruit & Malagueta Sauce and arranged on the cooked flatbread, and then smothered in some good old-fashioned Amul cheese. The hot and fruity sauce does a fine job of bringing out some amazing flavours and takes the flatbread up a notch.
- 3/4 cup Wholewheat flour
- 3/4 cup Oat flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3/4 cup Yogurt
- Extra wholewheat flour for work surface
- 2 tbsp SPRIG Passion fruit and Malagueta Sauce
- 1/2 cup Onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup Baby corn, sliced
- 1/2 cup Red and Green Peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup Zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup Cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp Salt
- Place the whole-wheat flour, oat flour, baking soda, and sea salt in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the olive oil and yogurt.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the flour with your fingers or a fork until it forms a dough. If the dough is too dry, you can add some water. Dough will be sticky.
- Place the dough on your floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes. Dough should be smooth and elastic at this point. Place the dough back in the mixing bowl, cover with a bread cloth, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the vegetables in 2 tbsp of SPRIG Passion Fruit & Malagueta Sauce and a sprinkle of salt.
- When the dough has finished resting, cut it into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. Cover the balls with a cloth to keep them from drying out.
- Heat a pan with a lid to medium/high heat.
- Working one ball at a time, roll each ball out into a ¼ inch thick circle.
- Place flatbread on a hot pan and cover with the lid. Let cook for 30 seconds, remove lid, and flip the flatbread over (cooked side should be browned in spots).
- Remove bread from pan and repeat process with remaining dough.
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Place the flatbreads on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle some cheese, followed by the vegetables, divided equally. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Add some coriander leaves on top for garnish and serve hot.