The secret ingredient is always cheese
Every healthy diet, or rather lifestyle, involves a decent intake of salads, as in, all those greens and veggies, that is just so incredibly hard to follow. And when you see a Caesar salad, with those yummy croutons, rich mayo dressing… it’s easy enough to convince yourself that it counts as a salad.
I personally crave cheese – of every kind! And this dressing is the perfect way to combat your craving.
So instead of reaching out for a sinful bowl of mayo-based salad, I make a homemade yogurt based dressing, which is easy on the hips, yet lip-smacking yummy!
The base is a buttermilk, made from thick yogurt and water, some lovely parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and a good amount of lemon juice; for an added kick, some minced garlic and herbs. You will be left licking your lips!
The salad can include whatever you want, even spinach, as this dressing will mask anything unpleasant to your taste buds.
I also sometimes add homemade croutons – basically a well toasted multigrain bread, topped with some flavoured butter.
If you are using boxed Parmesan cheese, then leave out the salt as the Parmesan already is quite salty. Pepper is a must!
Salad options are just a few ideas of what you can add, not necessarily all together.
Serves Yields: ½ cup | Prep Time: 20 mins
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried herbs of your choice (recommend oregano, thyme and rosemary)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 whole-wheat slices of bread
- Flavoured butter (Suggest Lemon Parsley Butter or Roasted Garlic + Rosemary Butter)
- Salad Options:
- Sliced onions
- Roasted beets
- Grated carrots
- Spring onions
- Boiled pasta
- Boiled chickpeas
- Boiled black beans
- Orange slices
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Whisk all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Mix into the salad before serving.
- Stays well for five days in the fridge
- Toast the bread until crispy (but not burned).
- Immediately after, slather some of the flavoured butter and let cool, before cutting into small square pieces.
- Toss your salad fillings together, and drizzle the dressing on top just before serving.