Soft tacos are a new fav for me the past year, and I have been trying my hand at various tortilla recipes – and this is the one that has stuck around longest amongst all of them (remember, I have habit of not repeating recipes at home!).
This one is an easy dough in terms of kneading and rolling out and cooking. I have hand rolled them, and I have used a tortilla press as well which means there is flexibility in the recipe to do as you wish – which is right up my lane!
What do I do w these tortillas? Fill with salads, beans, cheeses… or make a Lebanese version with hummus, falafel balls… or a sweet version with chocolate, bananas, strawberries… oh yummy!
You can also grill these into quesadillas or burrito wraps.
Storage note: after you make the tortillas, keep them stored in a cloth casserole to maintain it’s softness.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- water as needed
- Whisk the dry ingredients together
- Make a well in the center and a little water, pouring as you knead into a dough
- Set it aside, covered with a damp cloth for 10 minutes or so
- Roll out mini balls into your desired size round tortilla (use a flour surface if required or on a parchment paper to avoid sticking)
- Alternately you can use a tortilla press
- Cook on a hot pan, on both sides (no oil required)
- Use as required