“When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste.” Laiko Bahrs
Okay, this recipe isn’t a very complex one. It is so ridiculously easy, that I almost did not post this one. The PIZZA BOAT resulted from a late night pizza craving, which means I don’t have many photographs to share with you – not that I am any good at photography in the first place! This timing meant something with little effort, quick, and satisfyingly delicious – bread, cheese, tomatoes…
But I promise you, despite the minimum effort of this almost no-recipe recipe, this bread can reveal your rude manners when you grab for more.
Choose a large soft French bread loaf. Use a bread knife to cut the top of the loaf halfway down, in an elongated oval shape. Gently scoop out the insides to create a “boat”. You can keep these crumbs to toast them and store to use as bread crumbs later.
Fill this “boat” with pizza toppings such as sundried tomatoes, olives, jalapenos, garlic, spring onions, a bit of pizza sauce or tons of chopped fresh tomatoes, and a sinful amount of cheese.
I don’t give exact measurements; you really shouldn’t follow any rules here. Consider this a true Kitchen Therapy recipe, where there are no bound rules, hum to the music, and play with your ingredients. You can throw in anything that your heart wants. You could use pesto, white sauce, béchamel sauce, no sauce, leftovers, truffle oil, infused flavoured oils, flavoured butter….
Serves Yields: 1 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 10 mins
- 1 soft French bread/loaf
- ¾ cup grated cheese
- ¾ cup chopped tomatoes or ½ cup tomato pizza sauce
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- Sundried tomatoes
- Spring onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt + pepper
- Cut an elongated oval shaped well into the loaf.
- Remove the bread within the shape to create a boat.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil into the well.
- Place the tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes first.
- Then top with the rest of ingredients except the cheese.
- Sprinkle the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the remaining olive oil on top.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.