Hello folks! I know it’s been a while – after a very, very long time I went missing from posting (the first big break in perhaps over a year!). The reasons are plenty, but justifications are not – I have been running around like a headless chicken! There are times when I am so organized and planned to the T, and there are a few odd days when I have no idea what I am doing! Time management and I have not been getting along well – but the feelings are at an all time high with so much good work going on, and so many layers of foundation are being laid right now for far bigger plans. I do feel like I’m racing against time and sometimes I have to force myself to put the laptop/batter away and get into bed – but I’ve been enjoying every minute of the ‘rat race’ and with a whole lotta cake around, I can’t really complain!
In the recent months I’ve been inundated with mails and comments for eggless baking. At times you might think ‘she must be keeping chickens at home!’ but honestly I live in a house where we consume eggs by the dozen – perhaps we should be keeping chickens.
Today I was strict with myself and trust me, it took every bit of strength to not reach out for that egg!
These cookies are delightful. Chocolate and cardamom go brilliantly well together, and I’ve been kicking myself for not doing this earlier. These cookies are in between fudgy and crispy. They are soft in the venter, but crispy around the edges. It is essential to freeze the dough in this recipe. Baking the dough when the butter is soft allows the cookie to spread a lot more and burn easily.
You also need to keep a stern eye on the oven to check for burning.
This cookie dough is rolled in cardamom sugar for an added boost – there is less sugar within the dough, so the extra sprinkling is most definitely a welcome.
This cookie will appeal to everyone!
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder together and set aside.
- Whisk the butter, sugar and cardamom until light and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour out the cookie dough into a cling wrap and wrap tightly and place in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Heat the oven to 170°C.
- Stir the caster sugar and cardamom together.
- Remove the dough from freezer and roll out small balls of 1 ½ inch diameter.
- Roll the balls in the sugar mixture and place on a lined baking tray.
- Keep each cookie ball at least 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes; the centre of the cookie will rise slightly while the edges will crisp up.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on the tray for at least 15-20 minutes.