“Every time you eat or drink, you are either feeding disease or fighting it.” Heather Morgan, MS, NLC
Yes, today it’s a healthy recipe to combat the days of the chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies! I don’t care what the health preachers say, a good chocolate cake touches the soul unlike any superfoods-fruits-veggies-protein filled bites can. A plate of carb rich pasta cannot possibly do you that much harm!
Okay, but yes, we do need to balance our life, and these muffins help this process rather well. You almost can’t believe they are guilt-free.
These are flourless and have no butter, oil or added refined sugars. The natural sweetness comes from the fresh bananas and honey. The high protein comes from the peanut butter, which should ideally be as natural, low in sugar and organic as possible (and you can easily substitute with Nutella…). You can make this gluten free by using gluten free rolled oats and dairy free by substituting with almond milk. Options are aplenty!
These are ideal for breakfast-on-the-go or a snack before your workout.
Serves Yields: 12 muffins | Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats (can opt for gluten free)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 bananas mashed
- ¼ cup honey or agave syrup
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 ⅓ cups milk or almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- oil for greasing muffin paper cups
- Brush the muffin cups with oil, or spray with PAM.
- Mash the bananas and mix in the honey and peanut butter.
- Add the egg and vanilla and whisk.
- Add cinnamon, salt, baking powder and chia seeds.
- Then combine in the oats and coat them well.
- Pour the milk and mix. The batter will be quite liquid. (Or whisk the protein powder with the milk and then add.)
- Place two mini scoops of the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes at a preheated oven at 180°C.
- Store in an airtight container once cooled. These will last 3 days.
- NOTE: You can also add a scoop of protein powder, Nutella, nuts, seeds and dry fruits. Remember to grease the muffin liners. This batter will be very wet, which is perfect.