No sliced bread, but have cheese cravings and you can only see leftover roti? Journeys ignited from this can either lead to brilliant discoveries, or land you flat, face down. Some may think I landed flat face down here, but I have no regrets. I have yet to have a better comforting, cheese-y and easy snack that brings the satiated feeling of delicious fullness. A leftover cold roti, a slice of generic cheese and the only gourmet is a homemade chilli sauce that I’ve been working on – but any brand that’s your favourite chilli sauce would work here – even chili garlic Asian-style sauce works. This is a snack that gets folded into a single leftover chapatti – grilled in a hot pan (no extra butter or oil – in other words, less work and cleaning up!) and that’s it!
Say what you will, but I’ve had this three days in a row at 5PM. Lockdown has brought in some real masterchef qualities!
- 1 leftover roti, room temperature or cold
- 1 cheese slice
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- Spread the chilli sauce generously on the roti
- Cut the cheese slice into smaller bits to arrange on one half side of the roti on top of the chilli sauce
- Fold over into half to fasten like a quesadilla
- Place a pan on high heat and once hot, put the quesadilla to cook on both sides for a minute or so
- Remove from pan once cheese has melted and warm
- Eat immeditately