This cake is THE cake to make in a jiffy, and thoroughly enjoy yourself licking chocolate off your fingers! This is a real home-style cake that throws ‘fancy’ out the window and allows you to revel in the joys of being a home cook.
One bowl required, a whisk, a spatula, no sifting business – just one thing at a time, one cake tin, no preparations and it literally takes 10 minutes! My kitchen boy gaped in awe as I shoved the cake batter into the oven and I gave my most triumphant grins possible!
Oh, and did I mention – you can make this into a naughty cake by adding a few drops of coconut liquor, or maybe Malibu? I’m not sure, but hey, give it a shot – it’s a cake, not much can go wrong!
The frosting is nothing to take home about – just some melted dark chocolate and sprinkling of shredded coconut – but never underestimate the power of simple and easy. This moist, sumptuous cake (I know, I’m bragging!) is a delight.
I suggest you bake it and pretend to be a real domestic goddess – pronto!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut shred
- 1/4 cup melted chocolate
- desiccated coconut shreds
- Preheat the oven to 200C and grease and flour a medium 9” diameter cake tin.
- Whisk the oil and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, vanilla and yogurt and whisk until well combined.
- Then add all the dry ingredients and fold with a spatula, followed by the coconut shreds.
- Pour into cake tin and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack.
- Spread melted chocolate on top of the cake and immediately sprinkle the coconut on top.
- Let the chocolate set for 10 minutes before serving.