Be a child again. Flirt. Giggle. Dip your cookies in your milk. Take a nap. Say you’re sorry if you’ve hurt someone. Chase a butterfly. Be a child again. ~ Max Ludo
This heat has managed to make our lives ridiculously difficult. Perhaps this is the only time I really would like to go back to school for it’s lengthy summer vacations.
The inspiration for this comes from a Facetime conversation with the apples of my eyes, my two beautiful and adorable nieces. I tried in vain to get into an animated conversation with the older one, but she was more interested in her pink popsicle; not only did I want it straight away, I became insanely jealous of a 4 year old and hung up in a very bad mood.
Clearly, I have much growing up to do.
So, this summer, I decided why not embrace my childhood and whatever youth I have left before the big 3-0 and suck on popsicles in protest of the upcoming birthday (I’m still reeling).
Fortunately for me, my family understands me and immediately went to a store and bought me a set of Popsicle moulds. (In their defence, they couldn’t take my sulking for a Popsicle anymore!)
Here, I attempt an adult’s version, and no it doesn’t have any booze, but the sophisticated hints of lavender with citrusy lemonade, and for fun, a few frozen blueberries for it’s divine purple hue.
It get’s made pretty easily, without you needed to use your head too much. And taking them out and sharing with your family will bring back the child in you. Enjoy!
[P.S. This is just the first one, expect many more popsicles to come your way this summer! ]
Serves Yields: 12 | Prep Time: 90 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins | Chill Time: 10 hours
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ tbsp dried lavender
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3-4 frozen blueberries per popsicle
- 1 tsp dried lavender extra for garnish
- In a saucepan, boil the water and sugar together. Once sugar dissolves, remove from heat.
- Add in the dried lavender and stir.
- Cover and let cool to room temperature for an hour.
- Strain the dried lavender out of the syrup.
- Stir the lemon juice, cold water and syrup together.
- In each Popsicle mould, sprinkle some of the extra dried lavender and 3-4 blueberries.
- Fill the moulds up with the lemonade mix.
- Freeze, usually overnight, minimum 10 hours, to set.
- To remove the sticks, dip the moulds into lukewarm water and gently pull out the Popsicles.
- NOTES: You can substitute the blueberries with strawberry crush.