This healthy version of a tart is made with quinoa flakes and dates and topped with Indian mithai flavours such as saffron, cardamom and pistachios. The filling is made of thick Greek yogurt combined with strong flavours and topped with fresh mangoes and pistachio flakes. This dessert is a great hit with the elders and staunch Indian-food-believers (is that even a phrase?). The dates lend natural sweetness to the tart, and the nutty crunchy almonds lend the right amount of crunch.
This recipe is in collaboration with the wonderful boys at Organic Farmers Co. This Company works directly with small-scale farmers, helping them integrate Fair Trade & Organic practices in growing quinoa. Their aim is to grow organic products that are cultivated and processed in a more ecologically sustainable way, which helps both the farmers as well as the consumers wellbeing. Additionally their focus is also on the environment – using recycled paper and plastic for packaging, and efforts in minimising carbon footprint and towards a more sustainable planet. Basically, a product that’s good for you and your future generations!
Photo credits: Krishna Lalbhai
- 1 cup Organic Farmers Co. Quinoa Flakes
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 4-5 saffron strands
- 1 tbsp warm milk
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- mango slices
- pistachio flakes
- Soak the dates in the hot water for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa flakes a few times and place into a mixer.
- Then add the soaked dates and remaining tart ingredients and crush, scraping down the edges after every few pulses.
- The mixture should combine into a soft dough.
- Press the mixture into your pie tin and flatten out with the back of a spoon or measuring cup.
- Place the pie tin in the fridge and let it set for at least an hour.
- Warm the milk slightly and add the saffron and set aside for at least 20 minutes to infuse.
- Stir the cardamom powder, nutmeg, honey and vanilla into the yogurt.
- Add the saffron milk and stir.
- Scoop the filling into the tart shell and refrigerate to set for an hour.
- Before serving, add mango slices and pistachio flakes to the top.
- Serve cold.