Cookies. There is something just so comforting about dilly-dallying in the kitchen with the aroma of baked goodies enveloping you to bliss, knowing that little drops of heaven are baking away to glory in the oven. And, for most of you who ask me about eggless versions – this will soon become your NUMBER ONE recipe.
This is a genius recipe adapted from food52.com for an eggless version that is just so, so, so do-able. This recipe uses a mixture of vegetable oil and water in replacement of eggs – and this means no hassle of chia seeds, grinding flaxseeds, or looking for thick yoghurt. These bake with a chewy texture inside and a crispy edge. This is pure and simple genius.
Perhaps, the only hindrance is resting the dough for a good period of time, which in itself entails a bit of misery, but I promise it’s worth the wait. Remember, if I wait, it must be necessary.
Also, this can be vegan, if you choose vegan brown sugar and vegan chocolate chips. I know, genius right?
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp water, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 + 1/3 cups chocolate chips
- sea salt to sprinkle
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and chocolate chips in a bowl and set aside
- In a larger mixing bowl, whisk the sugars with vanilla essence, oil and water until well combined for at least 2-3 minutes
- Add the remaining dry ingredients with a wooden spoon and mix to just combine
- The dough may feel to be on the wet side, which is good.
- Gently transfer the dough onto cling film and gently pat into a disc
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, if not 24 hours
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a dish with baking paper
- Use a mini scoop to make equal sized cookie balls and sprinkle some sea salt on top of each
- Freeze for 10 minutes before baking – this helps maintain the shape
- Bake for 8-12 minutes - keep an eye on them
- Once done, remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before eating