What’s life without dessert? Pathetic, in my opinion.
Tropical desserts are a lot of fun to make and their unique flavours work so well together. What’s even better is that they can be made with such ease. When I think tropical, I think fruit, coconut, palm trees, sun, sand, cool breeze and pina coladas. This quick and easy dessert is all that on a plate. And it’s pretty darn healthy too.
The bananas are sliced lengthwise and grilled with SPRIG Passion Fruit and Malagueta Pepper sauce, honey and real vanilla bean. It is then served with coconut and almond flakes, with some homemade granola for crunch and thick vanilla Greek yogurt. It is sweet, tangy, hot and spicy!
SPRIG’s Passion Fruit and Malagueta Pepper sauce has the sharpness of the Malagueta peppers, balanced by the citric sweet passion fruit. The malagueta pepper is a type of chili widely used in Brazil, Portugal, Mozambique and throughout the Caribbean. It is a small, tapered, green pepper that turns red as it matures at about 5 cm in length with heat range of 60,000 to 100,000 Scoville units. The combination of the sweet and hot is a delightful firecracker.
- 2 Bananas, halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp SPRIG Passion Fruit and Malagueta Pepper sauce
- 1/2 Vanilla Pod
- 1 scoop Vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Granola
- 1 tbsp Desiccated coconut flakes
- 1/2 tbsp Almond flakes
- Stir the passion fruit sauce, honey and vanilla scraped from the pod in a small bowl.
- Heat a pan on medium heat.
- Place the bananas in the pan, face down and drizzle the sauce over the fruit. After 3-4 minutes, flip the bananas around.
- The bananas should caramelise well, and the sauce will start to bubble. Switch off the heat and gently place the bananas on a serving dish. Pour the remaining sauce into a bowl.
- Drizzle the sauce over the Greek yogurt.
- Sprinkle the desiccated coconut and almonds on top of the bananas and serve with granola and the Greek yogurt.