Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold everything is softer and more beautiful. Norman Vincent Peale
We are in the last days of the most important month of the year – the month of thanks and being grateful. For some it has been a disastrous 2016, and for some, life changing. Every year-end is a time to indulge in some serious reflection and release, draft out goals, promises, dream new dreams and of course, commit to a healthier lifestyle. December is beautiful mostly because it gets you to do this!
And it’s also the best time to take a few hours off from a fun schedule, settle in with some hot cocoa and do something creative (like writing!).
Today’s hot cocoa recipe is spiced with, but of course, Christmas spices (yes, I’m obsessed!). This isn’t just any kind of hot chocolate, but a real one, made from real chocolate and whole milk, dunked with real vanilla bean, spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and a pinch of salt for the chocolate to really shine; a bit of whipped cream on top, and for fun a drop or two of almond liqueur.
Other options include peppermint-flavoured liqueur, rum, brandy… whatever you feel will do right by you
Happy New Year!
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zGwXwj00u8
Serves Serves: 1 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
- 1 glass of whole milk
- 1 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- 30 g of dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 20 g of milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- ½ vanilla pod
- ½ cinnamon stick
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 drops of almond liqueur
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Bring the milk to a low simmer with the chocolate, sugar, salt and spices, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. NOTE: The milk should never boil, and the chocolate must not burn.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove from heat.
- Fish out the cinnamon and vanilla pod.
- Stir in the almond liqueur.
- Pour into your serving mug or glass and top with some whipped cream.