A breakfast bite that has both chai and chocolate in a muffin form, along with whole wheat flour and dark chocolate chips – need I say more? If you haven’t tried out our brand-new product: Chai Masala Hot Cocoa, you have to NOW! Don’t mean to toot my own horn, but honestly, it is one the most versatile blends I have worked with. This is a collaboration with Toska Chocolates – an artisanal bean to bar chocolate maker, that makes the finest bits of heaven in delightful flavor combinations. Our hand pound chai masala based on Ayurveda swirled with artisanal cocoa and demerara sugar makes it a beautiful mix that is versatile to use – swirl into warm almond milk for a vegan night cap, mix into your coconut milk based smoothie or cold milkshake and sprinkle with berries on top!
And another gorgeous option – swirl into muffin mixture for the ideal warm and soothing breakfast start! A simple recipe that uses honey and whole wheat flour and a good dose of the Masala Chai Cocoa Mix. This is great for kids – as the blend of masala chai has all the right spices that help soothe the digestive system and build immunity.
One recipe yields 12 normal sized muffins – should last a good 4 days in an airtight container, and if you’d like to store for longer, recommend keeping in the fridge, and bringing out to room temperature before warming just slightly in the oven at 200C for 6-7 mins.
Do check out the video tutorial: here
Masala Chai Hot Cocoa: SHOP
Serves Serves: 12 | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Kitchen Therapy Eucalyptus Honey
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp Masala Chai Hot Cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and prepare the muffin tin.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the oil, sugar and honey together.
- Add the egg and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- Add the yogurt and milk and whisk a few more times.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk lightly, ensuring there are no dry pockets.
- Pour the batter into 3/4th level of the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving
- Serving suggestions:
- Add a drizzle of honey and/or jam