It seems I am getting a fair bit obsessed with French toasts – and perhaps just as well as there are eggs and bread – two of my most favourite things in the world. For today’s recipe, I’m merging the classic French toast, with a stuffing of almond butter, a bit of honey for sweetening and the earthiness of Kitchen Therapy Chai Masala! You’ll be hit with the fragrance of Christmas, and I see no issues in that thanks to this crazy cold wave we’re dealing with here – and offers up the perfect way to defrost.
You can forgo the honey, if you are using sweetened almond butter or don’t have much of a sweet tooth. Ideally this French toast can be eaten on its own with some fresh fruit or just a drizzle of honey – the decision is up to your taste buds!
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Kitchen Therapy Chai Masala
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk or cream
- extra Kitchen Therapy Chai Masala
- Whisk the almond butter, ½ tsp chai masala and honey together
- Spread generously over the two slices of bread and fasten to make a sandwich
- In a broad pan, whisk the egg with milk or cream and the pinch of chai masala
- Heat a small skillet with butter or olive oil
- Soak the sandwich into the egg mixture, coating well on both sides
- Fry the sandwich in the skillet on both sides until nicely browned
- Remove onto a serving plate, sprinkle powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup, honey, fresh fruit or compote.