It’s winter and eggplants are very much in season (no pun intended…)
So, I bring to a classic recipe from my childhood – baba ganoush. This is a simple and basic recipe (JUST 4 INGREDIENTS) that you could custom to your tastes, add tomatoes, cilantro, nuts, etc… but for me this is just perfect. Pair it with pita bread, a slice of toast drenching in olive oil, top with an avocado and lettuce, whatever you like!
I roast the eggplant on an open flame, but if that’s not do-able for you, you can place slices of eggplant to roast in the oven at 200C for 20 minutes or so. Then peel off the skin and place everything together into the food processor to make into semi-chunky dip
Serves Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1 big round eggplant
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- To Garnish
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sprinkle of sumac
- First roast the well washed and dried eggplant on an open flame. Roast until the eggplant skin has burnt up well and the insides have softened. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, gently peel off the skin and fork out the mushy inside parts into a bowl and mash as well as you can.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and combine well.
- If you find it hard to mash by hand, place into the food processor and pulse down
- To Serve:
- Serve by spreading a thick layer on a plate, drizzle olive oil on top and garnish with some pomegranate seeds and a sprinkle of sumac.