Last year a visit to Mumbai with my parents brought me to a cute little restaurant in the Fort area called Burma Burma. Traveling with my parents usually ends up being more like a school field trip – I get ice cream, good food, presents and more often than not a lecture about something! Needless to say, the food and ice cream make up for a lot!
At Burma Burma, with every imaginable type of tea and more adorning the menu, they also serve authentic and mouth-watering array of Burmese dishes.
They have many specialities, but the one taste I took back with me was their pink grapefruit salad. It’s been over a year, but I can still remember the taste of the tangy-sweet-hot combination. There was some kind of spicy curry powder, peanuts, fried scallions…
Now to recreate something I had eaten once a long time ago is hard to do.
I picked a simple method: pink grapefruit, toasted peanuts, fried onions and a dressing with a mix of sweet, sour and spice.
Perhaps the Burma Burma chef is going to kill me for utterly ruining his/her dish… or give me props for at least trying! I don’t know, and for now I’ll eat my salad, thank you very much!
So, here goes nothing…
If you do not have pink grapefruit you can always substitute with a pomello – it will work the same way.
Make the dressing ahead of time and allow to infuse before pouring into the salad.
Serves Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and cut
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup toasted and crumbled peanuts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cut the grapefruits to tear them apart. Let the juices from the fruit go into your salad bowl as well.
- Fry the onions in the oil at high heat. Then lay on a paper towel to soak up leftover oils. Mix into the salad bowl.
- Lightly toast the peanuts and crush into smaller chunks and add into the salad bowl.
- Mix all the salad dressing ingredients in a bowl and pour over the salad.
- Serve chilled.