This may come as a surprise to you from me – a very healthy cookie, with no eggs, no flour, no butter and even no refined sugar! What’s the point, you ask me (and I did ask myself the same when I heard of it). Perhaps age does that to you – puts food and indulgence into perspective and while I am not entirely thrilled with idea of this, it’s just something I need to get my head around.
This cookie works wonders as a sweet treat while trying to maintain your diet. And it’s even gluten free! Now, I must warn you, this cannot possibly compared to a real cookie, this is a small, slightly grainy in texture, and crumbles very easily. It is meant to curb your cookie craving while you are on a savage diet that tends to eliminate the ‘good stuff’; having said that, this is pretty darn good even when you’re not in such a severe situation.
This tastes delicious with a cup of Indian masala tea, Kashmiri Kahwa tea and simply on it’s own too! I recommend making small shaped cookies to successfully bake without breaking into bits. Also it’s a fairly heavy bite, and you would not be able to eat a large cookie in this.
This is great for the elderly as well as the kids! (And you!)
Note: To make walnut paste, pulse down 1/3 cup of walnuts until you achieve a paste.
Note 2: It is recommended to have each ingredient cold or refrigerated for at least 10 to 15 minutes prior.
Serves Serves: 16 cookies | Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 13 mins
- 1 cup bajra flour (millet)
- 1/8 cup palm sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, solidified in the fridge
- 1½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ¼ cup walnut paste
- Whisk the bajra flour, palm sugar, cardamom powder and orange zest together.
- Add the walnut paste and coconut oil and rub into the mixture with light hands, careful not transfer too much heat into the dough.
- Create small balls, less than 1 inch in diameter.
- Place on a baking sheet and press down slightly with the back of a fork, creating impressions.
- Place the tray in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Place the cold cookies in the oven for around 10 to 13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from the tray.