Chocolate is God’s apology for broccoli. Richard Paul Evans
Some days has us juggling a hundred things at a go, and by the time you reach home, you are beyond exhausted, tired and in need of a good comforting chocolate cake. Kitchen Therapy is a complete passion outlet for me, and its what I turn to when I need some down time. Normally one would stop by at a store on the way home, but I headed straight to the kitchen, got a bunch of ingredients and made a perfect for 4 chocolate cake (although, to be perfectly honest, I ate the whole thing as dinner, alone!).
You will love making this cake as it has barely any prep time – you don’t need to melt the chocolate, bring anything to room temperature, plan in advance, go to the store to buy an ingredient – you will have all these ingredients at home, and it’s made in one bowl, with a whisk (no fancy equipment needed!), and it is a literal whisk it – pour it – bake it – eat it recipe!
Since it is strawberry season, I spontaneously macerated some of them in some balsamic, sugar and fresh vanilla while the cake baked, and then sprinkled some flaked almonds for a crunch. The sourness of balsamic and richness of the chocolate cake works tremendously well. For rewarding a really stressful day, serve with some vanilla ice cream.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sliced strawberries
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- For garnish:
- Powdered sugar
- Chopped almonds
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- In a bowl whisk the sugar, eggs, yogurt and vanilla together for 3 minutes.
- Then whisk in the all the dry ingredients until nice and smooth.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf tin and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile macerate the strawberries: stir the fruit in the balsamic, sugar and vanilla and let it sit for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from oven when it has risen enough and the top has baked. When you insert a toothpick it will come out slightly fudgy – this is good!
- Let the cake cool completely and dust some powdered sugar on top.
- Serve the cake slices with the strawberries, topped with some chopped almonds and some vanilla ice cream or cream.