There is of course easy breakfast with doing the bare minimum, like a hot buttered toast or just some whole fruit that requires even less effort. There also the overnight oats that you can make the night before – and by make, I mean literally dump it into a bowl and half-heartedly stir. Cover and put in the fridge and eat cold in the morning.
But sometimes you want a little more warmth in the early AM, something warm to nourish and soothe the body – enter baked oatmeal!
I love to add all the berries of the season, but off season, I add in some grated apples to create an apple pie flavour. I also some days add a few scoops of Chai Masala Hot Cocoa for a warm Christmas-y feel with pears. If you are a banana-fan, add a few shots of cooled espresso to the oats the night before, and simply place sliced bananas on top, with a sprinkle of brown sugar on top just before baking – banoffee-pie like feels are here!
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¾ cup milk of your choice
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-2 tsp chia seeds
- 2-4 tbsp chopped nuts
- fresh fruits of your choice – quantity as per your own desire
- To serve:
- Honey or maple syrup
- Extra fruits or nuts
- Mix all the ingredients together in an oven-safe baking dish
- Ensure the milk covers all the oats
- Cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours
- Bake the dish at 180C for 20-25 minutes
- Serve with extra honey or maple syrup drizzled on top