Beginning your day with a bowl of oatmeal is the best form of self-care for the body and soul. Almost every diet insists upon starting the day with a form of oats. Overnight oats are a great option, but as the weather begins to cool down, most of us crave a warm beginning to the day. Oatmeal is a wonderful option for this, and teamed with Chai Masala Hot Cocoa, it is surely the best way to soothe the stomach and prepare for the rest of the day. The chocolate flavouring also helps in convincing your kids to gobble up the warm bowl!
There are a few tips on making the perfect oatmeal on the stovetop – firstly, always use water. Never milk. Milk affects the texture and lumpiness of the oatmeal. Cook the oats in water and pour milk when serving only, the ration of water to oats is always 3:1 – so three cups of water for one cup of oatmeal. This serving size is perfect for two bowls.
Start by bringing the water to a simmer and only once a few bubbles start to appear, throw in the oatmeal, lower the heat and stir occasionally. The oats will start to absorb the water. Then cover the pot for a few minutes to allow the oats to soak up the water and cook through. Switch off the heat and stir and let the oatmeal rest for a few minutes before serving.
Serving oatmeal is super versatile – add berries, bananas, honey, maple syrup, butter, milk, almond milk, seeds, nuts, jam, peanut butter… really, whatever you like!
Check out the video: here
Chai Masala Hot Cocoa: SHOP
Serves Serves: 2 | Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 25 mins
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp Chai Masala Hot Cocoa
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- splash of milk
- Bring the water, Chai Masala Hot Cocoa Mix and salt to a low boil in a saucepan, using a whisk to combine occasionally
- Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat and add the oats and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally with a spatula
- Remove the pot from heat and cover and let rest for 5 minutes
- Serve the oatmeal in a bowl and add desired toppings – honey, bananas, pomegranate, splash of milk etc.