I love food that plays on colour – because let’s face it, most of us eat with our eyes first (remember that image of drooling cheese pizza?). And beetroot is one of my favourite roots to work with when it comes to adding some jazz to a dish.
This gorgeous rich ruby red-indigo hued dressing is a blended version of boiled beetroots with olive oil, honey, mustard and apple cider vinegar. This can be considered as a creamy dressing – but very healthy, and great to dress salads that have many finely cut ingredients – like a chopped lentil salad. This can be thinned down by adding more olive oil to dress leafy salads as well.
Another option to boost the flavour, is to first roast the beetroot pieces with olive oil, salt and pepper (180C for about 30 minutes) and then blend with the remaining ingredients.
This dressing stays well in an airtight container refrigerated for a few days.
(My favourite way to use this dressing with with: sprouts, paneer, tomato, cucumber, onion, nuts, seeds and cabbage)
Serves Serves: ½ cup | Prep Time: 25 mins
- ½ cup beetroot cubes, boiled
- 1 tsp mustard (Dijon or English)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- Place the beetroot pieces with olive oil and honey in a mixer or blender and pulse until you get a creamy consistency
- Remove into a container and add the mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk well
- Refrigerate until ready to serve