The Basic Lunch Salad is what I call the ultimate one bowl salad you take with you when on-the-go or for days where the mind is too caught up with number crunching (I’m look at you auditors!) and the body needs the real good nourishment, but the mind has no extra bandwidth to think about ‘what to eat’. I always need a good portion of protein in my diet, and boiled eggs are the perfect hassle free option for me – always having at least 4 hard boiled in the fridge makes life so much easier. This salad also has the basics in colour, texture and flavours so the basic craving gets taken care of. I also do the inconceivable – boxed parmesan cheese sprinkled over, because who has time to take out that grater when the con call is going on forever?
(Of course, if you have some grilled veggies, grated beetroot or carrots, tofu, croutons etc, you can just throw it in here. This is, like I said, the basic lunch salad and this gets me through the tough days!)
- 50g lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced and quartered
- ½ cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 3 boiled eggs, quartered
- 2 tsp capers
- 2 tsp chopped olives
- pumpkin seeds
- chopped almonds
- parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Place all the dressing stuff together in a glass jar, fasten and shake – shake – shake!
- Combine all the salad stuff together and refrigerate until ready to eat, at which point just pour the dressing into the bowl and mix!