Being home alone is a wonderful bliss – and I mean this without intending to offend anyone. Of course, I love people (ahem!), but at times I need complete quiet with my thoughts to sort of relax and re-energise myself. The past few weeks had me socialise a bit more than usual with a ton of non-work-related human interactions which has left me exhausted, tired and in need of nothing but quietness.
And being home alone also means a lot of fun in the kitchen – make meals that cater only to your own taste buds and indulge in as much as you want (hello Maggi and Cheetos!).
This quick and easy stir fry with colourful and nutritious veggies, speckled with soya and spicy sauces paired with steamed rice, grilled paneer and sesame seeds is a wholesome nourishing bowl that can be eaten in bed while watching Netflix – just what the doctor called for.
- 1 bowl plain rice
- 4-5 paneer slices
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup boiled peas
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Schezwan paste
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan with garlic. After a few minutes add the ginger, sesame seeds and Schezwan paste and fry for an additional few minutes.
- Add the vegetables and saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Thereafter add the water and soya sauce along with the salt. Let the vegetables cook for another 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, place the paneer slices on a hot pan and grill both sides.
- Serve with the plain rice and vegetables.