The past week I spent on a site visit in the middle of the buzzing forest, drizzle of rain and abundance found a blossoming tree with large green bergamot-shaped lemons. I am still unsure if they were bergamot, but the mind accepted with love, and thought of a cocktail. As the bergamot is very sour I need to balance with sweet and bitters – I brewed a cup of Earl Grey Tea with lots of brown sugar – ideally in a classic recipe it would be a simple syrup infused the tea, but like I mentioned, sugary sweet is not my cup of tea!
I add a few dashes of Meyer lemon bitters, ice and of course bourbon.
- 1 bag earl grey tea
- 2 sachets brown sugar
- slice of bergamot
- 2 dashes of Meyer lemon bitters
- 60 ml bourbon
- Brew earl grey tea with sugar and set aside to cool
- Add a shot of the brewed tea, 2 dashes of bitters, bourbon, ice and stir together in a glass with ice
- Strain into a fresh iced glass
- Garnish with slice of orange / lemon / bergamot